In 2011, the joint launch of the Russian Federation and the Aland Islands (Finland) is dedicated to the 150th anniversary of the founding of Mariehamn – the main town of the Aland Islands.
It is the smallest of all the Scandinavian capitals, but the third largest port in Finland. The city is the Cabinet and Parliament of Åland. It is home to more than half of the total population of the archipelago.
History of Mariehamn (translated from Swedish – “Mary’s Harbour”) is connected with the Crimean War, which determined the fate of a demilitarized Åland Islands. After the war, the locals turned to Alexander II on the basis of a petition on the main island port city, which is suggested to name in honor of the Emperor’s wife Maria Alexandrovna.
Tsar’s manifesto of February 4, 1859 permitted the foundation Mariehamn, a certificate signed on Feb. 20, 1861, establishes the status of the city. On the mail box on a map of Mariehamn is a portrait of Empress Maria Alexandrovna (1857) Brush FK Winterhalter from the Hermitage collection.
Title: 150th anniversary of Mariehamn – Russia
Date of Issue: 21 February 2011