The 15th of August 1960 was a significant date for Burgenland, for it was on this day that the then Pope, John XXIII, created the Diocese of Eisenstadt with his Bull “Magna quae”. However, this important step had been preceded by a long a varied history.
Up to the end of the First World War, the area now covered by the Diocese was part of Hungary and administered by the Diocese of Györ and Szombathely. In 1921 Burgenland became a part of Austria, and from 1922 to 1949 the Archbishops.
Title: 50th Anniversary of the Founding of the Diocese of Eisenstadt
Date of Issue: 12 August 2010
Denominations: 0.55 EUR