The ICA (Irish Countrywomen’s Association or Bantract na Tuaithe) was founded on 8 May, 1910. The first branch meeting of what was then called the United Irishwomen, was held in Bree, Co. Wexford, on 15 May, 1910, with the objective of organising a women’s rural organisation. The change of name to the ICA occurred in 1935.
The ICA has approximately 12,000 members in almost 700 Guilds throughout the country, in both urban and rural areas. It offers a network of support, education, social events and friendship to its members.
The organisation has always been to the fore in demanding improved conditions and services for women. It has been successful in lobbying for improved healthcare, equal pay and improved working conditions and has also campaigned on issues such as adult education, rural electrification, water schemes and breast cancer screening.
The ICA organises a wide range of social, cultural and educational activities for its members. The ICA Adult Education College in Termonfecin, Co. Louth organises a wide range of courses for its members and non members alike.
Title: Centenary of the Irish Country women’s Association
Date of Issue: 25 March 2010