Tuesday , June 27 2017
Home / Lithuania / Churches of Lithuania

Churches of Lithuania


Lithuania post issued a postage stamp featuring two churches of Lithuania, Kaišiadorys Christ’s Transfiguration Cathedral and Telšiai Saint Anthony of Padua Cathedral.

Kaišiadorys Christ’s Transfiguration Cathedral
In 1932, the construction of a neo-Gothic church in Kaišiadorys was completed. The church has a three-sided apse, a tall central tower, and corner turrets; the interior has three naves with cross vaults. Up until then, there were no churches in Kaišiadorys. On 10 May 1936, the Kaišiadorys Church became a cathedral after consecration performed by the first Kaišiadorys’ Bishop Juozapas Kukta granting the title of the Transfiguration of Christ. On this occasion, Pope John Paul II has sent a gift – a monstrance for the Blessed Sacrament, which is still used in the Cathedral.

Esteeming the Lithuanian Church, the Kaišiadorys Diocese, its priest, and the Cathedral, the church of the bishop, Pope John Paul II appointed Bishop Vincentas Sladkevi?ius, the then apostolic administrator of this diocese, as a Cardinal of the Holy Roman Church in 1987.

In the crypt of the Cathedral, two bishops are buried: Juozapas Kukta and Teofilius Matulionis.

Telšiai Saint Anthony of Padua Cathedral
The history of the Telšiai Cathedral goes back to the year 1624, when the governor of the Telšiai Royal Manor Povilas Sapiega, upon approval of King Sigismund Vasa, invited the Franciscan (Bernardine) friars to arrive in Telšiai and built for them a wooden monastery and a chapel on the Hill of Insula.

In 1762, the construction of a brick two-storey church, a combination of the late Baroque and Classicism elements, started. It was consecrated in 1794 and became a cathedral in 1926. There are seven altars in the Cathedral; two of them are the main. The main altar located on the second storey, the only two-storey altar in Lithuania, is dedicated to Saint Anthony of Padua; the painting depicting him and placed in this Cathedral is considered to be miraculous by the believers. The organ built by a famous Lithuanian craftsman Jonas Garalevi?ius is installed in the Cathedral.

In the crypt of the Cathedral, three bishops are buried: Vincentas Borisevi?ius, Pranciškus Ramanauskas, and Justinas Staugaitis.

Title: Churches of Lithuania
Date of Issue: 16 October 2010
Country: Lithuania
Denominations: 1,35 Lt x 2

Source: www.post.lt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *