JONAS KAROLIS CHODKEVICIUS (1560–1621)
State Chancellor of the GDL and Chieftain, founder of Kretinga church and Monastery.
In 1560 he was born in Lithuania. He studied in Vilnius, Ingolstadt (Germany) and Padova (Italy) Universities. Later became the Courtier of the Grand Duke Zigmantas Vaza. In 1599–1616 he was a Monitor of Žemaitija, in 1600–1605 – field hetman of the GDL. In 1601–1609 led the Lithuanian army in the battles with Sweden. Tactical maneuvers, abruptness, hostile showdown and strict discipline helped him to win the battles.
Built the first wooden church in Kretinga in 1602 and built a new stone church and the first Monastery in Žemaitija in 1605–1617. In 1610 established the first sundial in Kretinga which was reconstructed in 2002.Built a school in Skuodas in 1614 and established the Jesuit College in Kražiai.In 1621 of September died in Ukraine.
JONAS JABLONSKIS (1860–1930)
Lithuanian linguist, the most prominent Lithuanian language master, Professor
Graduated from Moscow University in 1885 and started to work in Marijampole Court from 1887. Was appointed as the old language teacher in Mintauja (now – Jelgava) gymnasium in 1889. When J. Jablonskis came to Mintauja, some of Lithuanian gathered around him: Motiejus Cepas, Mecislovas Davainis-Silvestraitis, Antanas Krikšciukaitis-Aišbe, Motiejus Lozoraitis, Vladas Macys and Juozas Tumas-Vaižgantas.
In 1896–1900 worked as a teacher in Tallinn. In 1900 was dismissed for possession of censorship prohibited publications. In 1902–1903 was deported to Pskov. In 1903 got the permission to live in Šiauliai and gathered together Lithuanian pupils to study native language. In 1904 returned to Vilnius. Worked in the Lithuanian newspaper editorial, also, worked as a teacher. In 1919 moved to Kaunas. In 1922 he was granted the Honorary Professor of Lithuanian University.
In 1930 of February died in Kaunas.
MYKOLAS KRUPAVICIUS (1885–1970)
Ecclesiastic, Politician, Minister of Agriculture
In 1917 graduated from Petrograd Spiritual Academy. In 1917–1918 was the Chaplain of Voronezh Martynas Ycas Boys gymnasium. From 1919 served in the Interior and Agriculture Ministries. Also, was the member of the Constituent Assembly (Seimas), First Seimas, Second Seimas and Third Seimas. M. Krupavicius was the Minister of Agriculture in Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh and Twelfth cabinet of ministers.
On the 15th of February 1922 was passed an advanced law of agricultural reform, which fulfillment is closely connected not only with M. Krupavicius name, but, also, with the restoration of Lithuania, like state. With this reform, the land was rationally distributed to land-employed farmers, poor and landless peasants were supplied with land.
From political activity had to withdraw because of disagreements with the National Government and as a result went away from Lithuania. In 1930, when he came back to Lithuania, he was appointed as the Vicar in Garliava and as the Professor of Vilkaviškis seminary, in 1933–1935 – the Dean of Veiveriai parish.
Prominent character of Lithuanian Christian Democratic Party and in 1946–1950 he was a Chairman of this party in foreign countries. Also, he was the long-standing Chairman of the Supreme Committee for the Liberation of Lithuania. In 1957 moved to USA.
In 1970 of December died in Chicago (USA). On the 10th of January 2006 (after death) – was awarded the Grand Cross of the Order of the Cross of Vytis and on the 23rd of September his remains were reburied in Christ’s Resurrection Church in Kaunas.
Title: FAMOUS PEOPLE
Date of Issue: 16 January 2010
Denominations: 1.35Lt, 1.35Lt, 3.00Lt
If you like this post, please say it in the comment!!!