Gibraltar Post issued special stamps fourth in the series paying tribute to Royal Air Force Squadrons.
The stamps features planes used in the various Squadrons, where as the miniature sheet shows the badge of each Squadron.
The Squadrons featured are Squadron no. 520, 540, 600 and 608.
Royal Air Force Squadrons
RAF Squadron 520 ‘Tomorrow’s weather today’
No.520 Squadron was formed at Gibraltar on 20 September 1943 from No.1402 Flight for meteorlogical duties. Initially equipped with Hudsons and Gladiators, it changed this combination to Halifaxes and Spitfires early in 1944. Weather flights were made out into the Adlantic and in September 1944 the squadron took over the Martinets of No.1500 (BAT) Flight for target-towing.
RAF Squadron 544 ‘Quaero’
No.544 Squadron was formed at Benson on 19 October 1942 with a miscellany of aircraft, flown until that date by the Photographic Reconnaissance Unit. Its Spitfires were detached to Gibraltar, while Wellingtons experimented with night photography, using this method operationally from December 1942. In March 1943, Mosquitoes were received and became the squadron’s sole type when B Flight at Gibraltar was transferred to No.541 Squadron. In June 1945 survey flights began and continued until the squadron was disbanded on 13 October 1945.
RAF Squadron 600 ‘Praeter sescentos’
No.600 Squadron was formed at Northolt on 14 October 1925 as a unit of the Auxiliary Air Force. Equipped with D.H.9As and Avro 504Ns, it was a day bomber squadron until 1934, having received Waptis in August 1929. These were replaced by Harts in January 1935 pending the arrival of Demon fighters, No.600 having been designated a fighter squadron in July 1934. In April 1937 conversion to Demons was complete and in January 1939 they were replaced by Blenheims. On the outbreak of war day and night patrols were flown, experiments with airbourne radar beginning in December 1939.
RAF Squadron 608 ‘Omnibus ungulis’
No 608 Squadron was formed on 17 March 1930 at Thornaby as a day bomber unit of the Auxiliary Air Force. Waptis began to arrive in June 1930 and were replaced by Demons from January 1937, the squadron being redesignated a fighter unit on 16 January 1937. On 20 March 1939, No.608 became a general reconnaissance squadron and re-equipped with Ansons.
Title: Royal Air Force Squadrons IV
Date of Issue: 31 August 2015
Denominations: 54p; 64p; 70p; £2
Source: Gibraltar Post