Åland Post continues the passenger ferry series in 2010. The M/S Prinsessan of Birka Line and the M/S Skandia of Silja Line have been painted by the artist Håkan Sjöström.
In November that same year, the first passenger ship, Danish M/S Prinsessen, was purchased. Built in Denmark in 1957, Prinsessan had a capacity of 1 200 passengers and 35 cars. Her original name was Prinsesse Margrethe and she was renamed Prinsessen in 1968 before Birka Line changed her name once more in 1971, this time to Prinsessan (the princess).
Silja Line was founded in 1957 by the three shipping companies Finland Steamship Company, Steamship Company Bore and Stockholms Rederi AB Svea. M/S Skandia was built in 1961 at Wärtsilä shipyard in Helsinki. Skandia was Silja Line’s first newly built car ferry and was put into service on the route Turku–Åland–Stockholm. The ferry carried 1 200 passengers and 175 cars and was the first purpose-built car-passenger ferry for year-round service. The bow doors fore and aft, resulting in a full-length cardeck, were revolutionizing.
Title: Passenger ferries
Date of Issue: 3 May 2010
Denominations: €0.75 and €3.50