International day of hiking or popularly known as World Walking Day is celebrated every year on 15 October to create awareness for environment preservation.
One develops an awareness about the importance of physical activities and also a sense for community by supporting the World Walking Day.
The Croatian Post Ltd. Mostar issued an amazing stamp featuring green foots to celebrate International day of hiking.
Celebration of International day of hiking
TAFISA (The Association for International Sport for All) in 1992, suggested celebrating this day with the aim of developing awareness of the need for ecological environment preservation.
Every year since 1991 on the first weekend in October, millions of people around the world participate with TAFISA to celebrate World Walking Day.
Moving, especially walking or hiking, is the most simplest form of preserving one’s mental and physical health.
The only things necessary for hiking are comfortable clothes and quality shoe wear that protects the foot and gives support to the entire body.
For walking or hiking, trails or paths in the nature in the fresh air are most favourable, and hiking experiences at mountainous tops takes one’s breath away.
Benefits of hiking
After only a half an hour of walking, the human body starts to extract the happiness hormone and in that way decreases stress and has a very positive effect on our sleeping.
Hiking is good for health and a powerful cardioworkout. The top benefits of hiking are:
- Improves cardio-respiratory fitness
- Improves blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Lower risk of high cholesterol and triglycerides
- hiking has a positive effect on reducing the stress and anxiety
- Boost bone density, as walking is a weight-bearing exercise
- Build strength in your glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, and the muscles in your hips and lower legs
Beautiful fall days and the World Walking Day will be most benefited if they are spent in the nature, walking and just being with friends.
Make everyday your International day of hiking
TAFISA member organisations from every corner of the globe are invited to register their walking events in the month of October to the TAFISA WWD.
Some of the best Hikes:
- Tour du Mont Blanc, France, Italy, and Switzerland
- Sierra High Route, California
- Laugavegurinn Pass, Iceland
- Te Araroa Trail, New Zealand
- Pacific Crest Trail, California, Oregon, and Washington
- Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal
- Overland Track in Tasmania, Australia
- MacLehose Trail, New Territories, Hong Kong
Title: International day of hiking
Date of Issue: 15 October 2015
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Denominations: 1.00 BAM
Source: The Croatian Post Ltd. Mostar