The stamp is based on a stone carving of St Patrick at the entrance to the spire of the chapel at St Patrick’s College Maynooth, which was founded in 1795 but due to a lack of funding the chapel was not built until 1891. The architect was J.J. McCarthy, Professor of Architecture of the Catholic University.
The college was founded as a seminary for the education of priests as prior to this it had not been possible to educate Catholic priests in Ireland. In 1795 a petition to Parliament was successful and ‘An Act for the better education of persons professing the Popish or Roman Catholic religion’ was passed, and a modest grant was provided to establish a college. Over 11,000 priests have been ordained from St Patrick’s College, and they have served in every parish in Ireland and throughout the world.
Title: St. Patrick’s Day
Date of Issue: 17 February, 2011