Belarus post issued the stamp National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theatre of the Republic of Belarus from the series Theatres of Belarus.
There is the emblem of the National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theatre of the Republic of Belarus on the stamp. The National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theatre of the Republic of Belarus was founded in 1933 as the State Opera and Ballet Theatre on the basis of the Belarusian opera and ballet school.
In 1940 it was awarded the title “Bolshoi” (Big) and in 1964 — the title “Academic”. It has the largest theatre company in the country.
The National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theater of the Republic of Belarus is located in a park in the Trinity Banlieu of the city of Minsk. Local people call it the “Opierny Teatr” (Belarusian) or the “Opera and Ballet Theater”. It opened on 15 May 1933 but it first did not have its own building for presenting at the Belarusian Drama Theater building until 1938.
The current theater building was opened in 1939. It was designed by Belarus architect from Leningrad Iosif Langbard whose original design was only partially implemented and some design details were omitted yielding to financial and other problems. The theater building has reliefs done by Zair Azgur.
In 1996 the State Theater was divided into two independent theaters: the National Academic Bolshoi Ballet Theater of the Republic of Belarus and the National Academic Opera Theater of Belarus, but in 2008 they once again combined to become the National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theater of the Republic of Belarus.
The building was renovated and it reopened in 2009. Many sculptures were added around the theater, its stage was slightly moved and audience space expanded. The latest lighting and motion equipment was added while adhering to the original design.
Title: Theatres of Belarus
Date of Issue: 22 May 2013