Wooden churches in Carpathian region of Poland and Ukraine are a group of wooden Orthodox churches located in Poland and Ukraine.
The tserkvas built at the turn of the 16th century are the oldest of their kind preserved in the isolated parts of the Carpathian Mountains.
Wooden Churches in Carpathian region of Poland and Ukraine were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2013.
Wooden Churches in Carpathian region
The Wooden Tserkvas (Churches) of the Carpathian Region are 16 wooden churches in the border region of Poland and Ukraine. There are 8 inscribed churches in each country.
The Churches built of horizontal wooden logs between the 16th and 19th centuries bear testimony to a distinct building tradition rooted in Orthodox ecclesiastic design interwoven with elements of local tradition, and symbolic references to their communities’ cosmogony.
The tserkvas are built on a tri-partite plan surmounted by open quadrilateral or octagonal domes and cupolas.
Integral to tserkvas are iconostasis screens, interior polychrome decorations, and other historic furnishings.
Important elements of some tserkvas include wooden bell towers, churchyards, gatehouses and graveyards.
– Tserkva of St. Michael the Archangel, Brunary, Lesser Poland
– Tserkva of the Birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Chotyniec
– Tserkva of St. Paraskevia, Kwiaton
– Virgin Mary’s Care Tserkva, Owczary
– St. James the Less Tserkva, Powroznik
– Tserkva of St. Paraskevia, Radruz
– St. Michael the Archangel Tserkva, Smolnik
– St. Michael the Archangel Tserkva, Turzansk, Sanok County
– Descent of the Holy Spirit Church, Potelych (Polish: Potylicz), Zhovkva Raion
– Holy Trinity Church, Zhovkva
– St. George’s Church, Drohobych
– St. Dmytro’s Church, Matkiv
– Descent of the Holy Spirit Church, Rohatyn
– The Church of the Nativity of B.V.M., Nyzhniy Verbizh, Zakarpattia
– St. Archangel Michael Church, Uzhok
– Ascension of Our Lord Church, Yasinia, Yasinia, Zakarpattia
Wooden Churches featured on Joint Stamp Issue
St. Paraskevia Church in Kwiaton, Poland is Lemko Greek Catholic church from 17th century.
St. George’s Church in Drohobych, Ukraine is one of the oldest and best preserved timber churches of Galicia.
The church, dating from ca. 1500, consists of three parts. The central block is square in plan and comprises the nave.
Two other blocks contain the double apse and the narthex. Between 1678 and 1711, the church was renovated: the interior was frescoed, the octagonal structures built up, and a new belfry appeared.
Thanks to Dimka.Sasha for providing Images of Ukrainian issue.
Title: Wooden churches in Carpathian region of poland and Ukraine
Date of Issue: 18 December 2015
Country: Poland / Ukraine
Denominations: 5 zl
Source: Polish Stamps